Sunday, September 13, 2009

Tupac Amaru Shakur . . .

Gifted rapper, actor, dancer, poet. Taken from this life on September 13, 1996, by assassins' bullets in Las Vegas, Nevada. 2Pac was only 25 years old, the victim of a gang-affiliated hit on the Vegas strip following a Mike Tyson heavyweight fight. Thirteen years following the rapper's murder, his killer or killers have not been brought to justice.
Tupac sold more than 75 million albums and CD's and remains a popular icon of the rap and hip-hop world, more than a dozen years after his death. Today, on the anniversary of his passing, I present a small selection of 2Pac's poetry, taken from the 1999 book, "The Rose That Grew From Concrete." His talent was unbounded, a raw force that commanded attention and respect. His death was tragic, a violent homage to the power of his voice. His legacy is indomitable, remaining vibrant and alive.
The Fear in the Heart of a Man
Dedicated 2 My Heart
against an attacker I will boldly take my stand because my heart will show fear 4 no man but 4 a broken heart I run with fright scared 2 be blind in a vulnerable night I believe this fear is in every man some will acknowledge it others will fail 2 understand there is no fear in a shallow heart because shallow hearts don't fall apart but feeling hearts that truly care are fragile 2 the flow of air and if I am 2 be true then I must give my fragile heart I may receive great joy or u may return it ripped apart
Fallen Star
They could never understand what u set out 2 do instead they chose 2 ridicule u when u got weak They loved the sight of your dimming and flickering starlight How could they understand what was so intricate 2 be loved by so many, so intimate they wanted 2 c your lifeless corpse This way u could not alter the course of ignorance that they have set 2 make my people forget what they have done for much 2 long 2 just forget and carry on I had loved u forever because of who u R And now I mourn our fallen star
And 2morrow
Today is filled with anger Fueled with hidden hate Scared of being outcast Afraid of common fate Today is built on tragedies which no one wants 2 face Nightmares 2 humanities and morally disgraced Tonight is filled with rage Violence in the air Children bred with ruthlessness Because no one at home cares Tonight I lay my head down But the pressure never stops gnawing at my sanity content when I am dropped But 2morrow I c change A chance 2 build anew Built on spirit, intent of heart and ideals based on truth And 2morrow I wake with second wind And strong because of pride 2 know I fought with all my heart 2 keep my dream alive
Life Through My Eyes
Life through my bloodshot eyes
would scare a square 2 death
poverty, murder, violence
and never a moment 2 rest
Fun and games R few
but treasured like gold 2 me
cuz I realize that I must return
2 my spot in poverty
But mock my words when I say
my heart will not exist
unless my destiny comes through
and puts an end 2 all of this
Sometimes I Cry
Sometimes when I'm alone
I cry because I'm on my own
The tears I cry R bitter and warm
They flow with life but take no form
I cry because my heart is torn
and I find it difficult 2 carry on
If I had an ear 2 confide in
I would cry among my treasured friends
But who do u know that stops that long
to help another carry on
The world moves fast and it would rather pass u by
than 2 stop and c what makes u cry
It's painful and sad and sometimes I cry
and no one cares about why.
In the Depths of Solitude (Dedicated 2 Me)
I exist in the depths of solitude
pondering my true goal
Trying 2 find peace of mind
and still preserve my soul
CONSTANTLY yearning 2 be accepted
and from all receive respect
Never compromising but sometimes risky
and that is my only regret
A young heart with an old soul
how can there be peace
How can I be in the depths of solitude
when there R 2 inside of me
This Duo within me causes
the perfect opportunity
2 learn and live twice as fast
as those who accept simplicity
What Is It That I Search 4
I know not what I search 4
But I know I have yet 2 find it,
Because it is invisible 2 the eye
My heart must search 4 it blinded.
And if by chance I find it,
Will I know my mission is achieved?
Can one come 2 conclusions,
Before the question is conceived?
Just as no one knows
what lies beyond the shore,
I will never find the answer 2
what it is that I search 4.
The Eternal Lament
From my mind 2 the depths of my soul
I yearn 2 achieve all of my goals
And all of my free time will be spent
On the 1's I miss I will lament
I am not a perfectionist
But still I seek perfection
I am not a great romantic
But yet I yearn 4 affection
Eternally my mind will produce
ways 2 put my talents 2 use
and when I'm done no matter where I've been
I'll yearn 2 do it all again.
When Ure Heart Turns Cold
When your heart turns cold
it causes your soul 2 freeze
It spreads throughout your spirit
like a ruthless feeling disease
The walls that once were down
now stand firm and tall
Safe from hate/love, pain/joy
until u feel nothing at all
When ure heart turns cold
a baby's cry means nothing
A dead corpse is trivial
Mothers neglecting children is daily
Loneliness becomes your routine friend
Death seems like tranquility
Sleeping is never pleasant
if u even sleep at all
u forget ideals and turn off the reason
2 make sure the product gets sold
You don't understand how I behave
Just wait till your heart turns Cold!
GOD
when I was alone and had nothing
I asked 4 a friend 2 help me bear the
pain no one came except . . . GOD
when I needed a breath 2 rise
from my sleep no one could
help me except . . . . GOD
when all I saw was sadness
and I needed answers no one
heard me except . . . . GOD
so when I am asked who I
give my unconditional love 2
look for no other name
except . . . . . GOD!

1 comment:

  1. Tupac is the greatest raper,man look at those words,beautiful
    r.i.p tupac-we love you (L)

    ReplyDelete