Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My First Born Child Celebrates Another Birthday

Twenty-eight years ago today my wife Peggy and I were blessed with the birth of our first child. Brian Leslie Gupton was born in Freeport, Texas, on February 10, 1982. The thrill of becoming a father for the first time was truly amazing. Peggy and I never knew what marriage could really offer us as a couple until that magical day 28 years ago when Brian made his entrance into our lives. And what a wonderful 28 years it has been . . . never a dull moment with that little (well, he's not so little anymore, now standing six feet, three inches tall) tyke around. Ever since he learned to walk and talk, Brian quickly took charge in our household. In recent years I have confided to Brian that I felt more like he was raising me than the other way around when reflecting on those long ago years in the 1980s and 90s. But somehow we all survived and are still around today to gather for yet another birthday celebration for the "little blonde bomber" who once ruled the roost at our home. Peggy and I treated Brian and his "baby brother" Blake to a noontime meal today at P.F. Chang's restaurant in Sugar Land to celebrate Brian's birthday. He and his new bride Tiffanie will be dining out tonight to put their personal touch on a much more romantic meal in honor of Brian reaching yet another milestone. His first birthday celebration was captured in the black-and-white photo above when his proud parents (my lovely wife Peggy and me, sporting a mustache, long sideburns and much more hair than I have today) posed with their little pride and joy on his special day. And in the photo below the birthday boy posed with his cousin Dustin Mosteit and their grandmother Verna Gupton, showing off the cake my mother made for Brian's second birthday.
Brian is pictured above with his family on Easter Sunday during his childhood days. The photo was taken after the heartbreaking passing of Brian's grandfather Omer Hall, who is shown in the photo below at right with his little grandson. In addition to Brian, Bret and Blake Gupton in the Easter photo I took in our backyard on Reverend Swinney Street, are the boys' grandparents Rex and Verna Gupton and Dorothy Hall.
Brian is pictured at left in the photo above with his grandfather and younger brothers in another favorite photo from my collection of family pictures. My Dad, Rex Gupton, adored all of his grandchilren and is dearly missed nine years after his passing. Our adopted son, Kirk Gupton, is shown in the photo at right with Brian, Bret and Blake in a photo I took during Kirk's high school days at Columbia High. All of my "little boys" are grown now, ranging in age from 21 to 34. The reality of that statement definitely makes me feel my age.
Prior to the deaths of my parents, the Tracy Gupton family resided on Reverend Swinney Street in West Columbia, Texas, for many years. A multitude of wonderful memories are associated with that three-bedroom brick home, most of them involving our sons. Pictured below are, shown with my wife Peggy and I, our boys Brian (in back at left), Blake (wearing the glasses) and Bret. The Gupton boys are pictured above in one of the favorite snapshots I took of my kids.
Tiffanie Hatley joined our little family this past October when she married Brian in a beautiful wedding ceremony on the front lawn of the Varner-Hogg mansion near West Columbia. Brian and Tiffanie Gupton are pictured above exchanging their wedding vows in a photo I took from my front row seat, and are shown in the photo below taken last year. Tiffanie has made Brian's life complete and it is awe-inspiring to be able to witness (as father and father-in-law) these two young people sharing their lives, so obviously in love with each other.
The photo above, at left, was taken when my son Brian was 18 years old and finishing up his senior year at Columbia High School. The photo at right is from his 22nd birthday six years ago.
If the final chapters and epilogue of this wordsmith's life story pan out as I am hoping, this ol' boy from Southeast Texas will be around to sing "Happy Birthday" to Brian and all of my other sons and grandchildren (and possibly still be around when great-grandchildren arrive) for several more decades. I love them all with such passion that I do not want to miss out on anything in the futures of each son and their spouses and children. But if fate finds my own lifelight dimming much sooner than planned, I can surely say that the children in my life have made me complete in ways words cannot adequately describe. And for that alone, I thank Brian and his brothers for definitely making my life more fun and interesting than it could ever have been without them. I love you Brian Leslie Gupton. Happy Birthday, and wishes are extended from your old man to live life to the fullest, enjoy each and every day, and may many, many more birthdays be in your future. Take care, kid!

1 comment:

  1. As one of the babysitters for said birthday boy, I want you to tell him I wish him a happy 28th! I enjoy the pictures from the past, and yes, it makes me feel my age as well.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete