Saturday, May 9, 2009

Stevie B. Is 23 Today, Happy Birthday Son!

Stephen Bret Gupton, the middle son of Tracy and Peggy Gupton, celebrates his 23rd birthday today, Saturday, May 9, 2009. We wish him a very happy birthday.
Boy, those 23 years sure flew by quickly. Making his entrance into this cruel world in the wee morning hours of May 9, 1986, Bret tipped the scales at six pounds, two ounces. His delivery was my trial run at witnessing the wonder of childbirth, having opted to stand outside the delivery room door when our first son, Brian, entered the world four years earlier. So, by the time our baby boy, Blake, joined the family in 1988 I was a seasoned veteran of participating in my wife's delivering our children in the hospital.
Bret and Blake were both born in the Brazosport Memorial Hospital in Lake Jackson, Texas, the same hospital that currently serves the residents of the area where we live in Brazoria County. Our first child, Brian, was born in the old Freeport Community Hospital that is no longer in operation. And now, 21 years beyond witnessing the amazing delivery of my youngest child, I reflect on what all has transpired in my life in the two decades since then. I remain extremely grateful that Peggyjo Hall came into my life, chose me to be her soulmate, married me despite the advice of "people with some sense," and today remains my loyal wife. I don't know where I would be today, in an insane asylum or a graveyard most likely, if she hadn't come along and given me stability and three beautiful little boys to make my life complete.
Those three little boys are not so little anymore. At 27, 23 and 21 years of age now, they are all grown men with their childhood and teen years in their rearview mirrors and so much more life yet ahead. My emotions involving my sons and foster sons (who are also all grown up now) oscillate routinely between extreme pride for what each of them has accomplished, endured and survived in their young lives, and a numbness bordering on grief for the time lost--the knowledge that everything involving my kids that is now in the past can never be retrieved, corrected or amended in any manner. What is done is done. Onward and forward now!
In the present day, Bret is nearing the completion of his college degree. He is mere hours away from receiving his bachelor's degree in Anthropology from Texas A&M University at College Station. The 2004 graduate of Columbia High School in our hometown of West Columbia, Texas, embarked on a challenging pursuit when he departed for Texas A&M in the fall of '04.
We have fond memories of Bret's childhood, from Miss Missy's Day Care days and time spent with Angela Williams (his babysitter for much of his younger years) with his little brother Blake and Angela and Bobby Williams' kids, to attending grade school and playing soccer, basketball and baseball as a small child. He was an exceptional distance runner and member of the Roughnecks crosscountry team. His football and baseball careers at Columbia High were a source of pride for his Mom and me, topped only by Bret walking in front of his graduating class on Griggs Field in May 2004 to receive his high school diploma.
The year Bret spent as a "fish" freshman at Texas A&M in the first of his four years as a member of the Aggies' Corps of Cadets will continue to be a source of strong memories for our son. His service to the Corps and dedication to his academic pursuits at Texas A&M will hopefully someday soon culminate in Bret getting to take his second walk in pursuit of that elusive college degree that has for so long now been his goal. We can't wait! The Corps of Cadets photo of Bret at the top of this page was taken in his senior year on the College Station campus.
I could write reams of pages when it comes to the depths of my love and adoration for all of my children. So, for brevity's sake, I will close by simply saying, "Bret, I love you son. Happy 23rd birthday!"
Now take out the trash, clean up your room, trim the bushes, mow the yard, wash my truck, scratch my feet . . . and get a good paying job so I can retire early and live off of your wealth!

No comments:

Post a Comment